Monday, February 13, 2006

Goin' to New Orleans

Personally, I can't wait to go to ALA Annual in New Orleans. I think it promises to be the most enjoyable Annual Conference since Orlando, and that was certainly pleasant. When I was in Orlando, I sort of wished that the people who chose that miserable sweltering hellhole [note to my readers in Florida--just kidding!] for a conference site had been forced to lie down on the concrete in the blistering sun all day while annoyed librarians like me got to wallop them with our conference directories. New Orleans and Orlando in June, and Philadelphia and Boston in January--that's what I call great thinking, you cheapskates.

But of course we're not going to have any problems, because as the man said, if we really care about the people of New Orleans we'll go ahead and hold our conference there. I can't say I really care one way or another about the people of New Orleans, but I'm willing to give it a go for charity's sake. I'm nothing if not charitable.

I wasn't too worried about the fact that the hospitals aren't working, but I was a little worried about whether I could get into my favorite hotel, the Hotel Moche down at Dauphine and Conti, but I just got some encouraging news. They've been housing displaced persons there since the big flood, but I was told yesterday by the manager Evangeline Duchet that they'll definitely have those people kicked out by ALA, regardless of the consequences. Tourists and conventioneers first! That's their motto. I'm just doing my part to help the people of the Big Easy.

No comments: