Friday, June 09, 2006

What's Up at the King County Library?

What's up over at the King County Library System? Those guys have had the top spot in Hot Jobs for months! I keep having to ignore the ad as I cruise the site for library jobs that suck. How hot could these jobs be? How many librarians do they need in King County? What gives?

But then I read over at the Union Librarian that the library workers gave the King County Library System director a resounding vote of no confidence. Uh-oh. Trouble with the unions, and you know what that means: surly library workers in drab gray clothing locking arms and singing "Solidarity Forever." Ahh, takes me back to the days of my youth.

Hmmm, I think I might have figured this out. Maybe the director is planning to fire everyone at the library and start over and has been advertising constantly just to be on the safe side. He's "building up a pool" of scabs like those wonderful folks over at the Western Union Water Closet District. Sure is easier than actually hiring someone. No wonder they don't have any confidence in him. Exciting stuff!

All I can say to that poor director guy is, if you're starting over and paying in the mid-six figures-- sign me up, baby! For that kind of money, I'll be a scab.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is the type of job that I am not sure if I should be laughing or feel insulted. Those "pool" jobs sound a step below one of those credit card offers where you are "preapproved," except you can possibly get the actual credit card. Actually, I think I may be better off helping out that nice Nigerian exiled prince with his banking problems. You have to wonder why ALA even takes their ads. Oh wait, ALA is advertising for a job shortage that does not exist. Hmm....